Thursday 15 March 2012

Tempus fugit

My dad cross stitched this. I had it up in my biology lab when I was teaching, the pupils never really "got" it, I think they just saw it as evidence that their teacher was a bit loopy

My blogging intentions have been good but the gap in the postings reflects the reality of time sneaking in and speeding by. I was 60 last week, where has the time gone?

Last weekend we went to Edinburgh, a celebratory birthday weekend which happened to coincide with the bi-yearly catch up with flat mates of nearly 40 years ago, and then coffee with a friend from university days. Alphabetical order brought that friendship about. In those days lab sessions required that we sit in alphabetical order. That lucky happenstance resulted in a great friendship that has continued for 42 years, though distances have been greater than the 2 work bench widths that separated us in those biology and chemistry labs.

University memories were reawakened this week as I started note taking for a Physics student. Until now my note taking has mainly been history and creative writing with minor forays into criminal law and business studies, so it was good to get a subject I feel I should be a little more familiar with.

2 comments:

  1. Your dad's stitchery is fabulous, Anne. I've always giggled at that quote, even though I initially had to really think about it. Ahhh. The English language. :)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Lady. Welcome to the 60s. I've loved every decade thus far and expect to continue doing so. However, in 3 years I follow suit of my brother who just turned 70. Somehow that just feels...different. Wish me luck, as will I now you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I do indeed wish you luck with the next decade :-)

      The English language ... my father has instilled me with an interest in words, he was a mine of information about word derivations and loved the play on words.

      Delete