Friday 15 February 2013

"I don’t see the feathers in the wings, I just count the wings" Charley Harper

I like Charley Harper's philosophy, I got one of his calendars today for the princely sum of £1 - money well spent for some great pictures. A perspective I find rather easier to comprehend than the third year particle physics I had to gird my cerebral loins for earlier on in the week. Much of the lecture was beyond my ability to understand, but  what I have found out is that quarks can be up, down or strange, and can also be red, green or blue. I suspect the colours are not literal, but if they are, then could the Hadron Collider  become a Hadron Colliderkaleidoscope? Maybe it is fun being a quark (or even an antiquark), especially perhaps in the strange state.

Today, it has been electronics and the amazing world of silicon chips. I have learned that a single silicon chip can contain up to 3 BILLION transistors; mind boggling stuff. Well, I was amazed, but looking round at the students in the lecture theatre, I seemed to be in a minority of one. It was 9 in the morning I suppose; also, the words "this topic is not examinable" prefaced the lecture, so I imagine that was enough signal for most of the brains to shut down and think of more important stuff, like the weekend.  I think the use of biological molecules in today's technology sounds fascinating, and were I a student today, it would be the area I would be interested in studying.


2 comments:

  1. And all I can think is if YOU can't get your mind around it, who can (of anyone else I know, including myself)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be really good to get to ALL the lectures and then at least there might be the smallest of chances that I could make a bit more of it all. At school I seemed to have a mental block with physics of horses pulling carts - I just wish I had persevered a bit harder with it :)

      Delete