Thursday 15 December 2011

Floating through the internet ether

Another week of transcription and once again my head is full of other people's words.  In procrastination mode I have taken a bit of a wander. It started with reading a review of a book about scientists and their tattoos. Having an interest in biology and maths, this led me to consider what I might choose were I brave/foolhardy enough to get a tattoo. 

 I have found that declaring myself as being interested in, and actually ENJOYING maths often results in glazed looks which at best are of puzzlement, or at worst looks of undisguised horror. So, to have an equation leaping off various parts of my anatomy would perhaps not be such a good idea as it would advertise my seemingly strange love of numbers and maths quirkiness to all and sundry.

So, a combination of both biology and maths would seem to be the solution and this took me on an internet journey to find some connections. 
Barnsley's Fern

Barnsley's Fern seemed a good starting off point, a fractal fern the mathematician Michael Barnsley developed which resembles  Black Spleenwort. The beauty of ferns, fractals and maths all in one go!

Black spleenwort



But then I got caught up in Wolfram and found:


lobster polyiamond




flower snark
caterpillar

centipede graphs


banana graphs



daisy spirals


2 comments:

  1. You are just way too funny, Anne. I actually love fractals and would love to see if you've done any yourself. That would make a great tattoo.

    Astrid and I have said we'll both do one some day. Mine would be a windmill; hers would be an Amazon woman! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ginnie :)

    I haven't done any fractals myself, but I am really fascinated by them.

    As for a tattoo, with my 60th birthday looming next year who knows....... but I suspect that the reality is that I will chicken out :(

    ReplyDelete